18th June 2019 Tuesday – and Jack said “who’s going to cycle LE to JoG cos I’m not going to”


Hello Everybody!
Route: Bonar Bridge to Bettyhill to JoG (and then all the way back to Thurso)
For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance:  50.1 miles (Total 980.1)
Average speed: 13.8 mph
Calories: 843
Cycling time: 3h38m
Average cadence: 69 rpm
Climb: 2,791ft, Descent: 3,003ft
Heart (yes I have one): max 135 aver 109
Aver Temp: TBCC, Max temp TBCC
Temperament:  4 hard lumpy bits then cycle Heaven (big “H” just in case)

The first 10 miles had an initial wonderous down bit closely followed by four decent lumpy bits which rather spoilt the day. However, after that there was a Terry Tailwind and no real lumpy bits. Blossom was in good fettle and I think I was as well. We made for an early start as once we got to JoG then we needed to go back 20 miles to catch the train in Thurso and our evening destination of Inverness. I am writing this on said train and I must state that next time I will just get the train. It’s much easier, nicer, can have a coffee-able, sitting is more comfortable and the view is better.


Even the cows are giving me "evils" now.
What did I do wrong - just list the top 10
Anyway I stopped at Thurso after 30 miles in and had a coffee and tuna melt (with not too much cheese) and a latte. Then I set off for final 20 miles to JoG. I was using JOG but the signs read “John o’Groats” so JoG it is. Before I knew it I could see JoG and the changes from last time I was there in 2003. Many just more houses and the JoG centre was a bit more developed – no real surprise there then.

I did the photo stuff with a very helpful Dutch couple taking some shots of me and the gang. Then another woman took some photos of me on my phone so I could send evidence to Ruth (she would not believe me otherwise) and Sal (who always believes me). A quick coffee and chat with an Merican man and I was off.

Job done and on reflection a job that had its moments (e.g. day to Nantwich) but any good experience needs it dark and light moments. I think I had much more light than dark which was mainly due to my sunny disposition and complete lack of listening skills.

The 3 A’s left by sea as planned and Franklin was shown off to quite a few people at JoG. He did go a bit red in the face during these times but then again his face is red.

A tiny shout out to Woof who supported me when needed with such charming comments as “get off your lazy, fat arse and start cycling” or the classic “are you a man or should I get the cheese out?” and then again the infamous “if I told you once it was twice as much as I should have”. Either way I still love the silly bean.

Sal also played her role. Not by use of any words but emojis. For instance the final one today consisted of:  2 x Happy Face; 1 x Cyclist; 2 x Happy Face; 1 x Cyclist; a cup of coffee and finally 3 x Sleepy Face in response to my previous “I am now officially very tired” WhatsApp comment. Perfick.

So signing off now until any other future blog desire comes over me. I will do a little summary one in a few days maybe as well as a possible investigative investigation blog that I have been building on a certain biscuit cartel, based in Redbourn, who are targeting me for malfeasance aplenty (legal term Obvs) and many other crimes. I can say no more but the two jammy dodgers, known as A&S, need to be very careful.

See below for impact of Terry Tailwind vs Harry Headwind:

Route: JoG all the way back to Thurso – cf to above table
For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance:  20.0 miles (Total 1,000.1)
Average speed: 11.8 mph
Calories: 480
Cycling time: 1h40m
Average cadence: 73 rpm
Climb: 676ft, Descent: 710ft
Heart (yes I have one): max 133 aver 122
Aver Temp: TBCC, Max temp TBCC
Temperament:  Harry Headwind was out to play, why me always on the last day. Happy factor “Not good”


Top of first climb. Lonely phone box.
Sadly it did not work after all my pedaling to get there.

Sorry for the black dot in the next few photos. Probably down to Sheep or now Cow interference.
See small "o" just in case





Someone who looks just like me at JoC signpost today. 
Please note the breathing in pose.


Arnold on my left, Arnolda on my right, Arnie on my head and Franklin sitting on the pannier rack. This one never gets old for me.


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Early Warning Notice - Road to Nowhere

11th June 2019 Tuesday – Windy wind and no thanks

10th June 2019 Monday – The 3 A's & Franklin go walkabout and look what they find?