4th June 2019 Tuesday – Changing routes and making luck

Hello Everybody!
Route: Bodmin to South Molton

For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance:  78.8 miles (Total 148.8)
Average speed: 12.1 mph
Calories: 1,821
Cycling time: 6h29m
Average cadence: 70 rpm
Climb: 5,257ft, Descent: 5,055ft
Heart (yes I have one): max 153 aver 122
Aver Temp: 14C, Max temp 18C
Temperament:  Headwind and Rain – a song by James Taylor

After the experience of Cornwall with small lanes an all, I had re-routed today’s route to be on very slightly more significant roads that offered better travel times due to smooth tarmac, less and fewer blind corners, less and fewer slippy roads,  and much less steep gradients and there were fewer of them as well.

However one thing I could not re-route was the pigging weather. I awoke to Cats & Dogs from above which turned into Kittens and Puppies by the time I left Gilly & Bob. So it was wet but not as bad as before.



The first bit took me in a NE direction following a few miles inland from the north coast up as far as Bude as which point I turned onto the road to Holdsworthy but not before stopping in a local Garden Centre. I was close to being very wet at this point but still in fairly good spirits.

Don't look away - Still worryingly
I took photos of Bill and Ben although could not see Andy Pandy anywhere. I was then very much affronted by the second figure which looked like a lady (I have seen such things elsewhere so I think I am on fairly solid ground here although this was wet also). Given Bill & Ben are facing “The Lady” I could perhaps see why they both had a slight snigger going on an all. The price to purchase “The Lady” was £299.99. They also sold another version that had an old fashioned wireless radio installed in her head and aerial in the arrow, but I was not sure where the two controls knobs were located. Anyone got any suggestions please? To help improve any suggestions there should be one knob on the left for turning on and volume an all and another knob on the right for tuning into the various radio stations. Luckily Arnold and Arnolda made sure Arnie was otherwise entertained.



I arrived in Holdsworthy late morning and took a photo of the place we stayed in last time I did the JOGLE. Sadly it was closed down but when we stayed overnight back in 2003 the place was heaving given they had a live band going on until well past midnight. From memory I think we all slept as we were so “tired” by then.


At this point I made a big decision to follow the north coast rather than take the middle route. I ended up in Bideford just as the sun was beginning to shine again. 

The Sun has got its hat on HHHH!

I found a very nice café with a very nice female owner, who told me about the Tarka Track which went all the way to Barnstable. After a coffee and generous cake I sped off along a very nice piece of tarmac, which was one of my most favourite types as it was flat as in pan flat.
The Tarka Start


Ahhh nice flowers, the flowers are white ones, pink ones, purple ones and some small yellow ones
Spot the difference competition


A little roadworks made Barnstable a bit more tricky to get through but get through I did. The last 12 miles I decided to follow the A361 which I had traveled on earlier that day and it was fairly OK although busier than I would have liked. This bit of A361 ended up having bollards in the cycle lane for a couple of miles which made for an interesting final leg.

I arrived in South Molton, Devon around 6ish and met Karin who is older than Ruth by almost 18 years and is a very interesting person. Her home was lovely as it was sooooo quirky but in a very nice manner, if you know what I mean which as I don’t, then how the heck do you stand a chance?


She made me a very nice couple of tea and we chatted about various life stuff. She had a lovely garden and I said her home was like the Doctor Who Tardis.




For evening meal Franklin asked if he could stay and chat a bit more with Karin so me and the 3 A’s went to the local and only one open, good restaurants in South Molton. We all slept like a log and again had the exactly same dream that we could actually remember when we woke up. Long story, short it was about picking coffee beans by only using the toes on your right foot and then dropping said beans in a small disposable French horn.

The good side of Devon

 Happy Sleeps Peeps, The Gang xx





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Early Warning Notice - Road to Nowhere

11th June 2019 Tuesday – Windy wind and no thanks

10th June 2019 Monday – The 3 A's & Franklin go walkabout and look what they find?