6th June 2019 Thursday – Nothing special just a good day in the saddle


Hello Everybody!                 NOW WITH PHOTOS !!!!!!!!!!!
Route: Cleveden to Ludlow
For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance:  88.5 miles (Total 328.6)
Average speed: 12.7 mph
Calories: 1,765
Cycling time: 7h15m
Average cadence: 65 rpm
Climb: 3,002ft, Descent: 3,366ft
Heart (yes I have one): max 137 aver 113
Aver Temp: 15C, Max temp 22C
Temperament:  Headwind and Rain – a song by James Taylor

Very sunny start with nice tailwind helping the average speed.


Just leaving Clevedon
I managed to get over the M4 bridge to enable a crossing of the Avon river and then power through to the not new Severn Bridge. Photos attached. 








The Severn bridge unsurprisingly was very windy, especially as it was a headwind day. I did meet another JOGLE cyclist who was from Belgium. I also forgot to mention that I also met a Dutch LEJOG cyclist yesterday who had a very cut down bike and gear. He was young so I decided again not to beat him to JOG.

Once off the last bridge I entered Dragon country, yes Wales was waiting to be conquered by me and Blossom. And, of course, the 3 A’s and Franklin. 



I definitely picked a nice route as Wales did not seem as lumpy when I cycled there a couple of years ago.

However just before St Arvans we had a problem Houston. There had been a landslide along the A466 which meant we could not go on [EDI|TOR: Alan has asked for dramatic music to play in the background. Here it is: Der der der der derrrrrr.] However there was a chap who was talking to a motorist next to the “Do not enter” sign and I mooched next to him. He was Paul, from Denver USA, young, slim and fast on a bike, so no racing again. There seemed to be an option to go along a very single track road and pop out past the landslide. We decided to chance it and it was very single track and very slippy and steep (up and down ways) but we arrived at Tintern.

We parked our bikes and a cycle café and Paul when out to visit the local Abbey and I ordered a coffee, tuna sandwich and cake. I’ve had enough at looking at old things. Speaking of which, Ruth is getting on quite well without me. Paul came back just as I was paying and we rode off for another 10 miles or so when he turned off. He had already cycled in Scotland doing the North West 500, all through Wales and was ultimately going to Italy via Worcester. He was easy company and very relaxed and I wish him well.

The rest of the trip was fairly uneventful apart from the UFO sighting an all. Arrived in Shropshire and Ingerland so everything started to look less “Dragony” and much more “Completeshamblesy” again, so that’s all good then.

Nighty, Night to all from all xxxxx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Early Warning Notice - Road to Nowhere

11th June 2019 Tuesday – Windy wind and no thanks

10th June 2019 Monday – The 3 A's & Franklin go walkabout and look what they find?