9th June 2019 Sunday – A sausage roll to cry over & two Acts of Kindness


Hello Everybody!
Route: Nantwich to Chorley
For the non-mathematicians out there:

Distance:  56.3 miles (Total 450.3)
Average speed: 13.3 mph
Calories: 1,137
Cycling time: 4h14m
Average cadence: 68 rpm
Climb: 2,192ft, Descent: 1,978ft
Heart (yes I have one): max 145 aver 117
Aver Temp: 17C, Max temp 26C
Temperament:  Very nice to have the sun back


Rest day was very restful. I bought some oil for Blossom, went for a sports massage at a Thai massage parlour and had a nice Italian meal.

Given I was only cycling 50 odd miles I decided to start later than normal i.e. I left at 10.30. My new routing strategy seems to be working very well as I am cycling along without too much effort unless the wind is coming from the wrong direction.

Act Of Kindness Warning: About a third of the way in, I was going up a gentle hill when I car pulled in and waved me down. I stopped and a very nice man, called Mike, asked if I was Merican? I said no which might have not been the right answer but we carried on. He asked what I was doing and after I had told him he asked if I’d like to come to his house for a cup of tea. He lives in Hartford with his wife, Pam, who was waiting in the car as we chatted. I accepted his offer and cycled to his house, which was just off my route. I also bought some biccies as you should never turn up to a party without anything.

I turned up to their house and Pam gave me some of her fruit cake and a very nice coffee. It turned out that Mike had cycled the North American west coast from Vancouver to San Diego and was planning to cycle from Calgary to Vancouver later this year or next. He is over 70 and is very knowledgeable about cycle touring. He only seemed to have one bicycle but we all make mistakes.

Act Of Kindness Warning: About two-thirds of the way in, I decided to stop at a farm shop and café. PLUG: Red Bank Farm, Newton-Le-Willows.

I went in and ordered a sausage roll with caramelised onions, coffee and carrot cake. I went to sit outside and when the waitress gave me my order she said that the owner had decided to not charge me. They had looked at my cycling top when I ordered and I explained what/why I was doing. They are also going to put my photo on their facebook page. I said I would donate the bill myself so as to keep everything in the Universe in complete and utter balance.

However the real theme of this second AOK is about the sausage roll. After I had taken my first bite, with some Stones tomato sauce, I was overtaken by an overwhelming sense of happiness and it was 100% due to the sausage roll. It took me almost 10 minutes to eat which is 8 minutes more than it normally does but I could not help myself and right at the end, with the last bit of my sausage roll melting in my mouth I very nearly cried with the pleasure. This moment will last for a very long time I can tell you.


Me, Franklin on the bike and Arnolda on my right and Arnold on my left.
Arnie, as usual, is sitting on my head

Red Bank Farm

Looking away from Red Farm.
Back to cycling… I arrived at my B&B in Chorley although there was nobody there. Jackie, who owns/runs the B&B, and me had spoken during the day. In the end I used their key box to get in and after shouting “Hello. CooEEE” I went to my room and showered and then got ready to go out for my meal.

My meal was with my cousin John who I had not seen for a good few years. We ate at an Italian place and talked about old times when we could go on holiday to either Sunderland or Chorley. When I got back someone had been in but they had left as there was still nobody there. I was not scared of course so I went to bed making sure Arnold was guarding the door.

PS I also bought some waterproof trousers in Warrington Decathlon, just in case.

The sausage roll ……… ahhhhh xxx






We should do more of this - sorry for getting political with a small p








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Early Warning Notice - Road to Nowhere

11th June 2019 Tuesday – Windy wind and no thanks

10th June 2019 Monday – The 3 A's & Franklin go walkabout and look what they find?